Wednesday, September 3, 2008

This is why I love living in DC

"Behind the Scenes of the 2008 Presidential Election"
It's a session with pollsters, campaign strategists, party chairmen, and chief liasons to the presidential candidates. I get a discounted ticket, even, for being part of the Smithsonian Young Benefactors group (which has monthly happy hours and the free drinks are totally worth joining by itself)! It's a week after the election, so what better time to go and hear all the stories, trials and tribulations than when it's over and everyone can kick back?

Yes, this and the "Evening with Presidential Chiefs of Staff" really does it for me. I realize I'm like a 65 year old woman stuck in a 25 year old body, but I think it's ok in this town. Just going and listening to these amazingly accomplished individuals is enough to knock your socks off, but for a political science junkie like me, it's like crack. I already know I won't be able to sleep after hearing these discussions and my mind will just be racing a thousand miles a minute.

Which is probably good, since I'm looking into the Johns Hopkins MA in Applied Economics. It's a part-time program here in DC and might actually get me that masters--finally. I know that 2 classes a semester while working will be a lot, but a program that's designed for working people, should be ok. Also, I have all that initial masters-level work behind me, so I'm kind of ahead of the game I'm thinking.

I'm pretty much stoked about the whole program-- Smithsonian and Johns Hopkins. So many smart people in such a small space is exciting. Did I mention I love DC?

No comments: