Friday, September 26, 2008

Democracy Wins!

I just finished watching the presidential debates. My first impression-- how refreshing to hear two smart men talking about real issues. I haven't heard it in so long! I feel all elevated and challenged in the conversation.

Jim Lehrer did his darndest to create a more authentic Lincoln-Douglas, which was surprising since the media is the one who has worked so hard to get away from the candidates actually talking to each other. He's still an amazing moderator and kudos to him.

Oh the issues. There was so much to cover, and I honestly heard myself agreeing and disagreeing with both candidates. I can't wait to see the fact-checker reviews tomorrow.

So what everyone is really asking is: who won? I think the winner here was definitely democracy. Let's talk about issues and the distinctions of our candidates in depth and not just through snipes and sound-bites. Hooray for democracy, the freedom of speech, and the free press!

No comments: