Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Young Souls Auction

I caved in and signed myself up for a singles auction. I know it sounds dreadfully tacky and horrible, but I was so taken in with the purpose. A girl at my church (All Souls) is going to do volunteer work in the Congo with Survivors of Sexual Assault by Armed Groups. They are doing a date auction to help raise money.

Part of me feels it's a little tacky to auction off a date for work in sexual assault, but the other side of me thinks that it makes sense to encourage respectfully aware gender-specific interactions to raise money for their work. I think the latter is winning out.

I knew All Souls was very gung-ho on the social action work. Never in a million years did I think this would be what I might get involved in. Of course that's the same thing my dad said when he signed our whole family up to stand at the corner of a busy street for the American Heart Association. Sometimes the need just comes along at the right time and you're willing to say "whatever I can do to help."

Honestly, I'm a little nervous about the whole thing. Everyone has a guaranteed minimum bid, and while I'm glad that at least that much will be going to the organization, the other part of me is scared that I'll only get the minimum. I guess I'll just have to work a little extra hard on the gussying up that night. Oh yes, and it's a Sunday night! So not exactly the "come out and buy a date" kind of atmosphere, but at least it's at The Reef, which is always a big party scene.

So if you're interested or just curious and want to help support the work of Survivors of Sexual Assault by Armed Groups in the Congo, then swing by The Reef on July 27 at 7:30pm. An entrance donation of $10 is suggested.

1 comment:

Billiam said...

Wow. You're insight on the rightness/wrongness of the auction versus the cause caught me off guard and actually made me laugh out loud.