Sunday, June 22, 2008

Home Sweet Home

I'm all settled and moved-in now. I LOVE my new apartment. It's been fun to get set up, arrange everything, and feel homey again. So here's a little tour for you. See my front door (notice the raptor-proof door handle-- the only one in the hall!) So I feel safe and completely raptor-free.


Welcome in my front door. I have a full bar! Very useful after a long day at work or coming in with friends. I will definitely have to have a couple wine parties. Maybe some girl's night poker is in store.

And my kitchen . . .
I LOVE the counter space! And all those cabinets. I know, the pink is a bit much. I'm not quite decided on what I'm going to do with it, though. I'm thinking I should paint it, but I'd have to get a sample so I can paint it back when I leave, which isn't an easy thing. But I'm also not sure what color I'd really want my kitchen. I've always had white or cream.
So do I want to go outrageous and do a burnt umber or terra cotta sort of shade? Something warm and inviting or just simple and basic? I'll have to spend some time at a paint store perusing the options I think.

Also, the bathroom is the same color. Do I want to use the same shade to cover both rooms? They have such different purposes and I don't want to get too crazy. We'll see. But right now I have lots of time to take on such a project, so I'm thinking I should go for it.


And my old familiar couch and batik wall hanging. It's nice that they go everywhere I do. Although now I have all kinds of plants. It's like they are taking over. I never realized how great they are to fill empty space, but when you have to use them in a small space it's totally different. I can't bring myself to just kill them, though. So they keep moving around the apartment. We'll see where they end up.

So that's my new home. Hope you enjoyed it. I still don't know how many square feet it is and I'm tempted to take a measuring tape and figuring it out. My guess is that it's somewhere around 650, but it's mine all mine!

My building is great. It's a new condo building, so everyone is really friendly and excited that I just moved in. There are a few families and some young couples as well. It might take me a while to meet people, but it's a pretty active place.

Did I mention I'm only 2 blocks to the metro? There's also a bus stop right at the end of my street. I love my neighborhood. All my fabulous Raleigh folk are welcome to come anytime!

Oh yes, and I joined the gym that has an indoor pool too. Doesn't that just feel like the height of luxury? So when it gets all hot this summer, I can go cool off AND exercise. Yup, I'm pretty stoked about the whole situation. I love DC.

1 comment:

Billiam said...

Alright, Kim. I hate to do this, especially because you seem like such a nice person. But I have to wake you up a bit. Talk to some of your friends, and hopefully they'll agree and tell you to change things quickly.
I'm just cruising along, looking for a deal on Woot.com and see a blurb about a girl celebrating her new vacuum with a haircut. I'm like, "huh, what's that about".
I pop over, you're smart, funny, cute, so I read on. I don't read more than three posts before I know WAY too much about you.
You should really keep the specifics to a minimum and to just your close friends. When publicly blogging, be vague with certain things, so as to stalker-proof your life a bit.
I, a stranger, possibly obsessive and dangerous, do not need to be told what church you go to and that's it's two blocks from your apartment, which is in a new condo with is two blocks from the metro and has a bus stop at the end of the street.
I cringed a bit when I saw you post the actual place you got your hair cut and the person you used.
But then when I saw a post with all the other information, plus an actual photo of your front door with the apartment number, I was appalled.
It would take about fifteen minutes max to cross reference all of that material and pinpoint your location, and know what lockset is on your door, so they're prepared once they arrive.
Please go through and dumb down your blog a little more. If you want to mention specifics of what you do and when you do it and where you can be found, at least make the actual location of your residence a little more of a mystery. Think safety.
Hope this wasn't too scary, but maybe scary is good right now.