Tuesday, June 5, 2007

A Good Book

I'm having a very difficult time at present finding a good bedtime novel. I've recently read a string of great novels that I usually read before I go to sleep in that calm, wind-down time of night. Unfortunately, though, the books on my shelves are much to intellectual and not emotional enough for me. I'm sorry, but even Madeleine Albright's The Mighty and the Almighty just isn't doing it for me now.

I'm looking for something fun, somewhat light, but captivating. This is really the hardest part. How do you find a novel that you want to pick up and read night after night, but that you can also finish a chapter and put it down before you fall asleep in the middle of the page. Suspense is horrible for me-- I end up staying up all night reading it or fall asleep while reading and have crazy nightmares (recently of a cannibal coming to slit my throat in my sleep and eat me). Some of my favorite bedtime reads have been Memoirs of a Geisha, Prodigal Summer, Life of Pi, and The Red Tent.

I am looking for GOOD reads, but they can sometimes be so hard to find. Any s.uggestions?

1 comment:

care said...

have you read anything by Neil Gaiman? Stardust is good.

or The Secret Life of Bees

or Water for Elephants

or Wicked

or something by David Sedaris, but that's not always calming...

A Death in Belmont was good, too...a little suspenseful, but told slowly enough that you could probably make it a nighttime read.

The Time Traveler's Wife. it's sad but good, and it's another can-put-down. Very interesting, too.

and that's all you get today. :)

ps-I bet if you ask real nice there's a bit of a lending library about six blocks away...