Monday, June 25, 2007

Fate

Yes, it's that 3am time when you know you should really be in bed sleeping because tomorrow is going to be a really long day, but there's just too much on your mind to rest before you get it out. So here 'goes. . .

I'm not really one for believing in destiny or "plan" for my life. I generally see things as the result of hard work and dedication, but every once in a while you sit back and think that fate is a curious thing, particularly when you don't believe in it.

That doesn't mean that only good things happen, but sometimes it feels like even the bad things happened for a reason, or at least taught you something that you wouldn't have seen otherwise. Perhaps it's just conjecture or the need to feel like it all has a purpose, but it's enough to make me wonder.

I have been job hunting for about six months now and was right on the verge of getting very discouraged. I had been working a part-time spot which was going well and enjoyable, but not exactly on my "career path." It's one of those double-edged situations where I was happy with how things were going, succeeding, but also wondering "is this really as well as I can do right now" and "why did I go to college, again?" Just when those doldrums started to hit, I got a call from a job possibility I'd been waiting for (crossing my fingers and wishing for). Not only had I been waiting for this job, I'd been dreaming about it. It is my ideal job (or at least second to working for the state department and travelling the world as an American diplomat). When I first started looking I was wondering "how do I get into this field" and whoosh it happened. Now I am an event planner. I mean, could there really be anything more perfect for me?! I LOVE to plan, especially plan parties, and working for great nonprofits, and planning fundraisers for them!

Somehow it just feels like the stars aligned for me this time. I wasn't looking for it. No, I was looking to be an analyst of some kind and use all that great political science knowledge in data manipulation. But this one just couldn't be turned down. I'll still have to see how it goes, since I haven't actually started yet, but I have great hopes and worlds of possibility.

Wish me luck.

No comments: