Sunday, February 10, 2008

Revolutionary Love

I am not what you would call an active church-goer. I was raised in a faith and still believe in it, but do not feel that I must attend church regularly to practice it. That and I have started coveting my weekend free time since I have gotten so busy during the week.

For some reason today was different. I got up and did my usual leisure morning routine and checked out the websites for the two Unitarian Universalist fellowships I sometimes attend. They both had interesting sermons going on today, but one of them was in 15 minutes and I hadn't even taken a shower yet. So I opted for the "Revolutionary Love" choice. If you don't already know, Unitarian Universalism is a pretty liberal, activist kind of faith. The description of the sermon conjured Che Guevera in the best possible way. While I had some reservations, I decided it would be fun.

I was completely blown away. I don't even feel like I could come close to doing the talk justice by trying to repeat it. Luckily they are available on MP3. Unfortunately, the last sermon on the site was from January 20. So I'm not sure if this one will be listed, since it was a guest speaker. Charlotte is too lucky. When I was in college there, they were in their interim minister period and I only wish they had found Rev. Melissa Mummert sooner so I could have had the chance to hear her each week.

She spoke of the power of love not just in romance, but in the ability to change the world. She referenced her personal experience in ministry with incarcerated women that brought me to tears. She successfully produced a documentary about it. She made each person feel the "I am one, but still I am one. Although I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." She tugged on the heart strings and hopes of making the world a better place for everyone, and she empowered each person to hope and to act in love.

I don't think this could have come at a better time for me. My job and my personal life have been a little tumultuous lately, but I have been doing what I can to make it better. This last week held a good deal of transition, anguish, and of course hope for the future. Life just seems so much more full of possibility when it is based on love-- love for one another, for humankind, love for the earth, and love of life and opportunity.

This may all sound too lovey-dovey, but I'm ok with that right now.

"Never doubt that a small group of committed individuals can change the world. In fact, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Note: The sermon you mentioned in this blog post is now available online.
http://eruuf.gascoins.net/2008/02/10/revolutionary-love/

Listen online, download, or even subscribe to the podcast so that you can get the updated sermons instantly (well... when I have the time to upload them. :) )