Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Om

It's my new mantra. Yoga is really the only thing holding me together today. I'm so glad I started Yoga. It reminds me of my philosophy and religion classes in college and just thinking about bigger things than me and my little day-to-day worries.

I love my yoga class. I go to this studio that is pretty private and authentic. It is very meditation-focused and my yogi likes to teach us something new about the theory behind yoga each time. I am the only non-Indian person there, so he keeps looking over at me to see if I get it. I'll have to go early next class and tell him that I was brought up Unitarian Universalist and knew more about Buddhism than Christianity when I was 10. Not to mention all of the philosophy and religion classes that I took and oh yeah, the trip to Tibet and the Potala Palace. But he's very nice and considerate to me. I particularly like the focus on meditation and bringing awareness to control of your own reactions. It's a little post-Freudian psycology too (I know the guy's name- it starts with an S- but cannot for the life of me remember it right now).

So when I wake up at 5am starting to think of all the things I have to get done in the day and try to remind myself not to forget "X," I've started going into the exercise room and doing my yoga series. I start with a few sun salutations and then go into various poses. I started getting the Yoga Journal lately, and that's given me a wider variety to choose from. I usually only get to about 4 or 5 poses before either my alarm goes off and I go to get ready for the day or I give up and move into deep relaxation.

I'm so looking forward to next weekend, though. I go to Blue Lotus Yoga Studio for their partners yoga class. I have a friend who is about the same size I am and so we are well matched. We only did 1 "flying" pose last weekend, but are assured to do more in the next class. I had so much fun it doesn't even feel like exercise. So that's what's probably going to keep me sticking to it. That and I have to meet for a class. I just can't let myself skip out when people are expecting me.

So I guess, in the end it does just come down to me me me. :)

No comments: