Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I am an evangelist for the Dark Side

This weekend my college roommate came to visit me. She's a nurse and loves to relax and do outdoorsy things like hiking and rock climbing (yes the sweaty things that I only do on the rare occassion and with friends). I had a great time planned out-- going to downtown Durham, downtown Raleigh, shopping, and even walking some trails around Umstead Park. However, the first night she got here we relaxed at home after she'd driven up and my boyfriend introduced her to Guitar Hero.

Now like myself, my ex-roomie did not really engage in the gaming rage that brought up our generation. I opted for playing cards as a kid (and no I did not grow up in the 1950's). I just severly lack much of the hand-eye coordination that is required in such things. I admit to my Ms. Pac Man hours spent in the arcade, but it really only lasted about a year for me, which was when my allowance was spent up and I reverted to other past times.

My boyfriend, on the other hand, (like most men in their 20's and 30's) is a true gamer. He has an Xbox, PS2, Wii, and the super gaming computer as well. We have it all: Zelda, Tiger Woods, Gran Turismo, NFL, Soul Caliber, Dance Dance Revolution and Guitar Hero (many more as well, but the other games are still in boxes). And since he has already beaten all the games, he loves to show them to new people.

Thus, I have corrupted my dear friend. At least 4 hours every day were spent on one of either Guitar Hero or Dance Dance Revolution, and sometimes both. While I was prepared to go hiking, my roommate was practicing her fingering for Sweet Child Of Mine. And after dinner, I asked: do you want to go see a movie or do something else? To which she replied: Can we go play some more Guitar Hero? Definitely a job well done. Now she's thinking about which system she wants to buy so she can play at home. I have brought her over to the dark side.

No comments: