Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Men and Their Toys

OK, so this time it really worked out in my favor. How did it ever start with men tinkering with things to make them work? Not just work, but work BETTER! Every man I have ever known has definitely been partial to this at one time or another. Whether it's building something from scratch or fixing some electrical gadget, there's just a guy-thing about tinkering and doing more with the appliances you buy that makes them just not quite good enough and in need of expansion.

So back to my initial discussion. This time it worked in my favor. My boyfriend is a game buff ('course I don't know many guys in their 20s who don't own at least 1 game console). Anyway, I don't really care much for the games. Even the Wii-- yes, it's great that it's wireless, but I only have so much patience for the games. Could be the poor hand-eye coordination I've got going too.

Anyway, if you've heard anything about Apple's iTV I have the boyfriend mocked-up version of one and I LOVE it. So all you need is a Netflix account, MactheRipper (for Mac users), a router, and an X-box. Netflix has now become so much more valuable to me. As soon as I get my movies I can run them through the ripper and they are on my hard drive. Then the amazing boyfriend set it up for the Xbox to recognize those movies and I can scroll through them and select the movie I want to watch. That means 1 day turnaround for my Netflix, which means more movies I can see (since I usually want to watch a whole lot at one time), and no fiddling with DVDs and cases and that whole putting it into the machine. I know it sounds crazy, but it's the best thing since Tivo. Props to the amazing tinkering boyfriend!

No comments: